Message from the President


I hope everyone is having a great summer. May and June featured many TU events and we appreciate the efforts of our members in making each event a success.

I sent a letter of support to Gerald Andrews as he works to get the Springville Pond project moving forward. I will be speaking to him this week to get an update.

I spoke to Jeff Goodyear about the issues at Ischua Creek. His group obtained a number of documents - under FOI - which provide background info on the GLC incidents. I have reviewed these documents. I will be speaking with Jeff in Mid-August to follow up. DEC personnel have been on the Ischua  downstream of the plant site to assess the stream's current health. GLC has greatly expanded their Water Treatment facility. Still waiting to hear from the DEC on final disposition.

The stream signage that we proposed is being looked at by the DEC in Albany. We offered to work this through the landowners on a pilot basis. 

I visited the Dewitt Recreational Area in Batavia as a possible site for an outreach program to the Batavia VA facility. We would be partnering with LEC FFI group on a Fly Fishing 101 class and fishing at this site. Stay tuned for news later this month.

Thanks to all the folks who helped out on the McKinstry Creek Lunker build. More work to follow this year.

Thanks to everyone who has helped the DEC with their spring/summer projects across our region. Your efforts directly impact the cold water fisheries in our region.

The 2026 TU Teen Camp was a great success. The new camp site is awesome. We sponsored Hudson Mueller and he had a great time. Hudson will be giving us a presentation on the camp this fall. Plans are moving forward for the 2027 camp.

Joe Morgan did a great job in getting an Embrace-a-Stream grant for work that we will be doing on Wiscoy Creek in 2027/2028. Kudos to Joe.

Bill Jedlicka has done an outstanding job in getting an event planned for March 2027. This Art and Advocacy event will be held at the Carnegie Art Galley and will be a month long exhibit and programs that will provide us with an opportunity to reach out to diverse individuals in our community. I look forward to working with our members to make this a great success. Many Thanks to Bill.

WNY TU will be exhibiting at the Wyoming County Fair - August 15-August 22. The fairgrounds site is on Wiscoy Creek in Pike, NY. Brian Barrey has put out a schedule for the week and we are looking forward to a great week. 

A very big pat on the back to Jim Jowsey who worked with Scott and the DEC folks in getting a large amount of technical briefs, reports and papers stored on our website.

These documents can be found HERE

I registered our chapter to attend the National Hunting and Fishing Day event  - September 26 from 10 am - 4 pm at the Elma Conservation site. We are having a Stream Explorers event that day at the Boy Scout Camp on the Wiscoy. We hope that members will be able to help out at one of these events as we reach out to our community.

Thanks to George Snuder for taking the lead in having us join the Wyoming County Sportsmen's group. We look forward to working with this group in helping us continue to improve the cold water fisheries in the county. And increasing our membership.